Birthdays and Art Go Together Like Cake and Ice Cream on Illustration Friday

     Yay! It's Friday, Illustration Friday, and it is also my Birthday Today.

So, Happy Birthday to me. 
#CANCERSUNITE ;0)



Before I talk about this weeks topic, ICE CREAM, a real quick aside:

Illustration by Mary GrandPre

     As a funny coincidence, I just finished listening to a section of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows where Harry is celebrating his birthday.  I sometimes like to listen to the HP audio books as I work on projects. This project was an HP listening party project. On a coincidental note, Harry Potter also shares a Birthday in July with me. I've always enjoyed that detail when it is mentioned in the books as Harry Potter and I both turn 37 this month. Yes, Harry Potter would be 37 this year, if he were a real person (this fact is certainly worth a Google... I recommend it. Though most HP fans are already aware of this fact.)  Also, it is rather humorous that Daniel Radcliffe, the actor who played Harry in the films (for those who didn't know that) also has a birthday in July. So it's kind of funny that I would be listening to Harry blow out his candles in the book as I illustrate birthday candles for a project that will be completed and posted on my birthday... Funny.


     Anyway, As some of you may have known, I have been rather ill for around 2 months now. For those of you that do not, I will give you the short-short version.

     3 week severe sinus infection --> 2 weeks severe sinus inflammation that caused dizziness and migraines --> staph infection from a spider bite --> massive tummy problems from the side-effects of 2 months being antibiotics... Fun, huh?


     So, needless to say, I have had little time to devote to anything but getting better. So I was ecstatic to be working on a new art project this week... To be honest the feel of pencil on paper was a welcoming feeling I have been both missing and craving. The absence of Art in my Life was severely felt along with nausea.


     I originally had a more elaborate piece in mind for the Ice Cream Topic. However, this cute little idea came to me yesterday and I just couldn't say no to it.  I thought it was an adorable idea and, to be honest, I needed something that was low impact to get back into making art again after so long.  It's always like riding a bike, but sometimes you have to do a little TLC on the bike before hopping back on it.  Working on this illustration this week was just that pleasure. It oiled up all the squeaks and now I'm ready to work on more projects in the following weeks to come. My original idea will be the first one that I work on. It involves a little more work in the collage department and I also would like to write a new short story to go along with it.  I didn't want to overwhelm or rush myself on the first day back, so to speak, so I decided to do something light fun and enjoyable... no pressure.



     And thus, I sat down last night and sketched out a birthday cake and an ice cream cone celebrating a birthday together. There isn't too much to go into about this piece.  I wanted to play with details but be loose with it and have fun.  I did have an earlier thumbnail idea where the cake was blowing out a candle but, in the end, I liked the two holding hands and dancing together.


     As Forest Gump would say,"We go together like peas and carrots."  Cake and Ice Cream have always been the tradition for most American Birthdays. I can certainly remember trying to figure out how to eat the two together before the ice cream melts away. Cake and Ice Cream bring back fond memories for most and always are a guaranteed way to put smiles on the faces of all around.


     I kinda wanted my illustration this week to be a Birthday Card for all the July Birthday peeps out there, or really a birthday card to everyone this year (Hence the 17 number candles). So you should definitely have a slice of cake this weekend to celebrate. Who doesn't love some Birthday Cake? Honestly, Birthday Cake is really my most favorite dessert ever.



     So yes, Happy Birthday to me. Happy Birthday to all my fellow Cancers and to the few Leos that hang out in July with us. Happy Birthday to you all (whenever it is) from me to you. Cheers! 

Until next time, friends,
Keep sketching, keep thinking, keep laughing and most important of all, 
keep making art.
Cheers,
LEWIS






Comments

Popular Posts