KISS Your Rhythm & Blues Away on Illustration Friday



"I Just want your extra time and your.... Kiss."
-Prince

     Yay! It's Friday, Illustration Friday, and I hope you all are wiping the Blues, of your week away in 
anticipation of what the Halloween weekend will bring.  When I say Blues, I mean Rhythm and Blues, 
because that is what inspired this week's IF Illustration; a phenomenal rhythm and blues artist we all know as Prince.


     Now, this week's topic is KISS and I was really thinking about sitting this week out, because I wanted to illustrate something Halloween related since Halloween is coming up this next Monday. However, I just couldn't get the idea of this tiny little lip character out of my head. Also whenever I first read the topic for the week, I couldn't get Prince's Kiss from playing out of my head either; not that I would really want to as it's such a good song. To be honest, I've secretly been jamming to it in my head all week long.


     So... I just couldn't resist any longer!  I thought I'd pull a Thursday-Night-Illustration-Friday-Hail-Mary and sort of throw together what's been FLOATING around in my head this week.  Ever since I illustrated my little Raspberry Beret, I just wanted to keep drawing Prince in some shape, form or fashion.  I guess my imagination and my pencils and pens just weren't finished with the Artist Formerly Known As just quite yet.


     Since Prince's visage is so striking and alluring, I thought it would be conceptually appropriate for the topic.  After all it takes an alluring visage to inspire a Kiss anyway, right? ;0)  

     I worked on ways to incorporate my little Lips Character and Prince's visage.  Today, I thought of the solution to the challenge.  I wanted the little lips character to be holding 2 balloons and the balloons would be the 2 eyes.  Simple and fun.  I sketched it out quite quickly, inked the drawing, scanned it in and began to find as much purple as I could in my collage library.  I'll admit I had to fudge on some of the tones and create purple tones I was looking for out of them.  Thank you, Photoshop, for being Magic, always. 

     SO I hope you enjoy this little guy, and also enjoy the rest of your Holiday weekend.  Find some mischief and mayhem to get into.  It is, after all, Halloween.  I know I am certainly looking forward to some festively spooky parties and some more scary movies before Monday is out. 

     I leave you with the song that has been playing in my head and was the inspiration, mostly, for this week's illustration.  Enjoy and Happy Halloween! BwahaHaHahahaha...




Until next time, friends,
Keep sketching, keep thinking, keep laughing and most important of all, 
keep making art.
Cheers,
LEWIS








Comments

Popular Posts