SCBWI WINTER CONFERENCE CHRONICLES: Vol:1 Brand New Pair of Shoes


     SO, you all may or may not have noticed that I haven't been posting recently.  After sledding down the Holidays,  I have been busying myself at the beginning of this New Year  preparing for the SCBWI Winter Conference in NY.   More specifically I have re-evaluated my portfolio presentation and thought it could do with a New Pair of Shoes.   I have spent the past couple of months developing the concept and searching out and gathering the materials to put it together. 
     I revisited an college concept I had with this particular portfolio back in my college days.   I had developed a sort of scrap-booking concept behind how I was presenting the portfolio, hoping to appeal to the fun and whimsy in others.  It ultimately failed initially because it lacked focus, visually and it lacked a real solid sense of branding.  I know you are thinking,"I wonder what it looked like."  Well, you will have to keep wondering as I WILL NOT be showing a photo of that. :0)



    Several years down the road (this was back last August, mind you),  I made a decision that I was going to attend the SCBWI winter conference in NY the following year in February.  I began brainstorming new ideas for a nice, solid and professional presentation of the old portfolio.  I came back to the idea of using a scrap book and shadowbox.  I kind of like the idea of art and images being associated with precious memories and keepsakes.  To me each piece is quite literally part of who I am and I can't help but have this connection to it.  I wanted to explore how I could convey and perhaps express that sentiment to others. 
     First I had to find a Book and then a box.  I wanted to have bold expressive color but also not take away from the art as this was a display device.  After selecting the bold Royal blue memory book with the cute 4x6 cutout (that would be perfect for cover display card.)  I found a box that it would fit in. Like many projects, once you figure out and gather the main elements, the finer details of the portfolio will fall into place.



     I completely redesigned the layout of the portfolio pages from scratch.   I continued my limited use of splash bold color to accent the work.  I also continued the concept of the scrap book by using "torn colored paper" and silhouette cut-outs form the illustrations themselves to compliment them in the display spreads.  Thanks Jason, btw. The Cut-out idea was brilliant.



     I then found some really neat and colorful textured lime green paper to line the bottom and top of my display shadowbox.  It doubled as a means to keep the book from sliding around when shipped out to art directors.

It also just looks cool and accents the blue of the book nicely.  You will notice there are two of my favorite inspirational quotes adding some flavor to the shadow box.  I even added a "card catalogue" like name card on the front of the box to continue with the scrap book memory organizing theme.



     Lastly you may see a familiar image decorating the box lid.   It is a new image created specifically for this portfolio presentation.  One of the most important things you should do as a freelance artist is brand and the icon of the FatMan is certainly part of that branding system for me (see old entry for further details on the FatMan and his significance.)   I really like the sleek and shiny cut-out of the FatMan against the nice matte lid of the box.  A nice touch if I do say so myself. :0)



     Aside from building this presentation there will be promo cards and space for other promo items in the port showcase.  I even went as far as to carefully select ones that would match.

Design and branding are very important when displaying your work for other, ESPECIALLY if you will be absent from when they are viewing it.


     I will be running now.  Still much to do to prepare.
I still have to pack! lol EEK!
Anyways, stay tuned.  I will be blogging about my experience at the conference very soon.   This concludes Vol:1.



Until Vol:2…

Keep sketching, keep thinking, keep laughing and most important of all, keep making art. 
Cheers,
LEWIS




Comments

  1. Can't wait to hear how the conference goes. Thank you for blogging. Lov MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lewis - thank you so much for posting this blog and giving us all some insight into your work. I find it fascinating... and inspiring to know that people truly can find work they love doing. You have created a wonderful look for your portfolio, and I wish you much luck! Can't wait to read the next post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts